Lacto-Fermentation: A great way to create powerful health-giving delicious food.
Join Audrey King, RHN as she leads us into the wonderful world of fermentation. Did you know fermented foods contain bacteria, which are probiotic? The interaction of this bacteria with our own microbiome can improve digestion, immune function, mental health, increase energy, reduce inflammation, fighting food borne illness and much more. Audrey is passionate about sharing ways we can improve our health to live life more optimally mind, body and spirit.
Lacto-fermentation, also called lactic acid fermentation, is a way to preserve vegetables, dairy, dough etc by using friendly bacteria. This process makes lactic acid which creates an acidic enviroment that preserves food. The lactic acid is also responsible for the delicious tangy taste.
What to expect:
– Demos for sauerkraut and kombucha making.
– Tastings of home fermented sauerkraut, kimchi, kombucha and coconut kefir.
– Receive a handout on the simple methods used today to make the sauerkraut, kimchi and kombucha.
– Discussion on the importance of these kind of foods in our diets every day and other ways to build a solid nutritional foundation for you and your family.
– Learn about other fermented foods that can be easily made at home.
– Get insight on why you may not like the taste of fermented foods today but could learn to love them in the future.
Date: Friday, August 17th
When: 7:00PM – 9:00PM
Please arrive at 6:50PM so we can start right at 7:00PM.
Cost: $20 per person at the door.
Where: The Village Hive at 55 Albert Street, Markham
What to bring: come comfortably dressed, water bottle, and yoga mat!
To RSVP, please visit our event page on Facebook.
We would love to hear of anybody else’s experiences with home fermenting. Also, Audrey will be happy to answer questions throughout the evening on fermentation, making healthy substitutions or anything else related to health and wellness.
Audrey is a woman on a mission. She wants to encourage people to stop and take stock of their life. Life can race by so quickly that bad choices become habits at the blink of an eye. We aren’t eating well, exercising enough, having enough good relationships, managing stress well and so much more. Audrey’s goal is to help people reshape their lives right from the foundation. She has been fascinated by nutrition her entire life but started on the path of making it a career just a couple of years ago. Now she is a registered holistic nutritionist and as of last summer a yoga teacher. Audrey now passionately embraces life and treasures all the opportunities it brings her.